Tilting & Rotating Ladle Transfer Car
The customer requested a reliable tilting & rotating ladle transfer car that would safely handle all the following movements of the ladle:
- Loading and unloading the ladle to the car.
- Rotate the ladle 90 degrees toward the pouring position.
- Transfer the car to the pouring station.
- Lift and lower the car frame lift cylinders for weight measurement.
- Tilt the ladle slowly to provide constant controlled flow of molten iron.
- Quick reverse tilt the ladle to remove slag from the pouring spout.
- Tilt down the ladle.
- Transfer the car back to the loading bay.
- Rotate the ladle 90 degrees to align it with the crane hooks.
- Tilt, transfer, and rotate the ladle to align with crane hooks in the event of a power failure.
- Plus, various physical space limitations that impede the car size and movement.
Furthermore, these requests needed to accommodate all three of the customers ladle designs with molten iron capacities to 75 tons.
The tilting and rotating type ladle transfer car is the first of its kind. Time constraints did not allow the time to build a model or simulation to enable us to check the design ahead of time. All the parts of the car are a complete new design from a clean sheet of paper.
- Develop new concept incorporating articulated bogies and a weighing system. This design is essential to prevent uneven forces acting on the car frame and provide the vertical motion required for the load cells to be loaded and to be protected.
- Develop the car structural concept to comply with all the specified requirements.
- Develop sufficient clearance for all ladle varieties and ladle hooks. Proper clearances are important to provide the crane operator with sufficient space to maneuver the ladle in and out. Providing too much clearance would impinge on the tight physical constrains of the car. The heat shields protecting the main structure further reduced the available space.
- Provide hydraulic hoses with protected passages and sufficient space to flex. High-pressure hydraulic hoses must be installed in a recommended fashion otherwise the life expectancy of the hose will be affected. The hoses must also be shielded from the radiant heat at all times.
- Design a hydraulic system capable of the different car functions and all the applied forces.
The Technological Advancements and Solutions
Tilting & rotating ladle transfer-car
Articulated bogie design
This design has proven itself
The Car structural design concept
Whiting's concept is now a proven design. This technical knowledge can be used for future applications.
Clearances with ladles and the ladle hook
The Whiting car is compact and at the same time provides for sufficient clearances with the ladles and the ladle hooks. Future projects with different ladles and hooks will be easier to adapt.
Hose passages and bending radiuses
The actual car structure acts as the enclosure for the hoses. Several openings and heat shields have been added. This has proven to be a safe and flexible system.
Hydraulic power system
This specially designed hydraulic system integrates the most modern technology for hydraulic power & control components. It smoothly powers tilting and rotating car motions.